Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What the Dr. said...

We went to see the doctor this afternoon, not really knowing what to expect, but prepared for whatever he wanted to do. We had already decided that if there was any hesitation on his part, I would be on the next plane to Houston. However, he had a very distinct plan of action and seemed very comfortable with treating this. Just as we suspected, it is infected, but he is trying some "heavy hitter" antibiotics first. Basically he thinks that we can knock it out this way and would rather not have to open it back up for several reasons: 1) any time the face is involved, they like to try this 1st to reduce scarring 2) if they have to 'open it' I will have to do surgery again & 3) if they go back in, they risk the chance of introducing yet another infection. I got a BIG ole shot today and then am taking major antibiotics for 5 days (he said they are like getting an IV - absorption rate) and I will go in first thing Thursday morning to see if it is starting to respond. He also wants me to continue the warm compresses and do some cold too. We will have to do some reevaluating Thursday if it is not responding, but I think that if that happens, we will go on to Houston to Dr. Byrne's colleague. I think that is all I have to report right now -- thanks for all the prayers. I'm sure they are all helping and this is not going to be as severe a problem because of them!! :o)

3 things that make me smile:

Anonymous said...

ok, did I run here fast enough for the update? ;)

Ok, sounds like a good game plan and figured it would be heavy duty antibiotics... (dad is a pharmacist... he shares that this would be a typical first course of action.. the "heavy hitters"). Ok, now don't miss a dose, make sure you follow the directions on the Rx... sending hugglezzzz and prayers as always... and hun.... it's gonna work out. I have faith and just feel in my soul of souls its gonna be fine! Hang tough!

Phyl

Anonymous said...

OMG I'm praying my self into a coma! It sounds like you have a very good primary care Dr and I think he made the right choice in not opening it up yet. If by Thursday am you are still having problems I would go to Houston as you plan. Don't mess around with this as it is the only face you have. Keep an eye on your temp. I'm sure you have already called your Dr in baltimore but if you haven't call 1st thing tom. and see what he would suggest and maybe he can call your primary and between the two of them they should be able to get this under control. I really wish you could feel pain on that side so that you could tell if it is getting worse or better. Take care of yourself and big huge kisses to your forehead from me to you GF. Love you Kim

Glenda said...

Sounds like you have everything under control and have a good game plan. I'll do my part with the prayers ;-) I'm so glad that you seem to have good understanding doctors. Hang in there girl, you are sooo strong! Sending big healing hugs your way!
Glenda