Thursday, May 1, 2008

Dr. Brissett

We flew out at 7:00 this morning (after we did my IV at 4:00!) and when we arrived in Dallas to change planes, guess what? They had cancelled our flight to Houston! Can you believe that? They put us on standby for the next flight and we did not make that one, but we got on the next one. We were OK since we didn't have a Dr.'s appointment until this afternoon, but it still made us nervous. We had brunch at Le Peep (YUM!) and then we walked through some shops killing time. We got to Smith Towers and looked on the directory -- this was the SAME building that we went to 12.5 years ago for my acoustic neuroma (it still smelled the same). Not only that it was the EXACT SAME OFFICE -- kind of weird -- I guess we have come full circle! Anyway, Dr. Brissett was really nice -- he wasn't even seeing any other patients! He thinks that it is not even infected (he did take a culture), just a fluid collection. He opened the incision up and drained and packed it. It looks REALLY gross -- like makes me sick to think about it -- but it is covered with gauze. We go back in the morning to have him look at it again and to teach Dave how to pack it. If I were him, I wouldn't want to do it -- it is awful -- we will see how it goes...Dave & the doc said it looks better already! Looks like we are on the right track! More tomorrow...

2 things that make me smile:

Glenda said...

Oh Kay, I'm so sorry you are having to go through all this. I'm glad that the doc thinks there is no infection. That is great news! I hope it heals really fast now. Tell Dave he wins the award for being the BEST nurse husband!! Hang in there girl!! It looks like there is light at the end of this tunnel!
Your caring friend, Glenda

Anonymous said...

K -

it IS totally weird that you went to the same exact place that you went to 12 1/2 years ago! What are the odds? I'm SO glad to hear that the doctor doesn't think you have an infection and I'm also SO glad to hear you are now on the right track - that must make you feel so much better. Hang in there, Jan (leapyrtwins) Oh, and as for the husband - he's definitely a keeper :)