Thursday, May 8, 2008

Thursday

I went back to the Infectious Disease doctor yesterday. He still is convinced that I have/had an infection while the other Dr's think it was a fluid build-up. I guess that is neither here nor there except that I don't want to be on massive amounts of antibiotics if I don't need them. They do blood tests every week to monitor my kidneys and all my levels so you know it has to be pretty tough stuff. The ID doc wanted me to keep doing IV's so we were going to do 1 more week, but then as we were about to leave, the infusion nurse said that plans had changed and that my white blood count was down and so I was going to start oral antibiotics instead of the IV. That would get a big "whoo hoo" from me EXCEPT they wanted to leave the PICC in! I guess I can endure another week! Home Health Care is coming twice a day and they have all been super nice. Apparently, I am the current "big challenge" as they have never had to pack something so deep in such a small "tunnel" before. Overall, I feel a LOT better and more like my old self -- just tired a lot. I'm sure I will feel even better if I could ever get off all the medicine! I am pleased with surgery & the whole appearance of my face - minus the white gauze, of course!! I need to be cleaning (really de-cluttering as my house is pretty clean) as my MIL and SIL (&her 2 kiddos) are coming this weekend and we are SO SOOOOO excited!! Off to work! :o)

3 things that make me smile:

Anonymous said...

..and I thought I had a tough week! K, I have to commend you. I know from where your strength comes and I'm tossing in a few prayers, myself.... I'm cheering you on and although I may have been quiet lately, there isn't a day I don't think of you.

Hang in there! There's a mug o' grog waiting on you while you wrangle up the youngins! ;-)

xo
Phyl

Dara Freed said...

Kay,

Hi girly! Hang in there with the packing. The results will be worth it and I cant wait to see the final product after all you have endured. My last five day in the hospital landed me a beauty of a skin rash, but the picc is gone. Hope yours comes out soon and the luxury of a shower bestows you. I was glad to catch up on your blog. Your a constant motivational inspiration. Thanks for following me as well. I am originally from Houston prior to moving from CA. Where from Texas are you? I feel like we are kindred spirits in our amazing journeys. God bless you and your loving family. Dara

Debbi said...

Kay -

You are just possibly the most positive person I know - I admire you so much! When I feel a little discouraged about my own recovery, I just think of you and ask myself what Kay would do! (And, today, I thought you'd suggest a nap, so I took two!) Seriously, I am glad that you seem to be turning a corner - and am really glad that you are pleased with how your face is responding - looking forward to pictures soon.
Happy Mother's Day!
Debbi