Sunday, January 27, 2008

Daddy


Today marks the day that my father passed away 2 years ago. As Dave said it just doesn't seem like it has been that long. Yes, I always remember the day because it is the day after my mother's birthday - doesn't that stink for her? The strange thing is that I miss him at the weirdest times. I have the occasionally stirring memory in church (it's always the songs) not just for him, but other things too --I always think of him on a good 'ole song with a bass lead in the chorus. But I think of him the most when I am preparing for something at my house. I know that sounds weird, but it is because I never vacuum unless something gets spilled or I am having guests/a party. Other than that, I let the cleaning lady do it when she comes! He would ALWAYS do the vacuuming -- even until the very end he always wanted to help. There weren't too many things he could do, but he could always vacuum. It didn't matter if he went over the same spot 752 times, eventually he got most of it and even if he didn't get everything, it still had the tracks so it LOOKED newly vacuumed (looks can be deceiving!!!). The night before he passed away, Mom & I were at the assisted living facility with him and we were able to meet the night-time nurse/caretaker. Most of the people there slept through the night so there was just one lady and she also cleaned up. She told us that many nights he would get up & wander to where she was cleaning and wanted to help her -- so she put him to work VACUUMING!! How ironic is that?
The other day, I came home from the gym & Emee was eating breakfast. I greeted her and she was just kind of gloomy -- I asked her what was wrong and she said, "I miss Papa..." I don't really know where that came from since we hadn't been talking about him or anything, but I was able to tell her a story about how he was the one that always ate peanut butter on his pancakes (which she eats EVERY morning) and told her that I missed him too but at least we had good memories of him. He wasn't the perfect parent -- who is?? I know I am not...but I am choosing to remember the good times for they far outweigh any others...thanks for all the memories, Daddy!!

1 things that make me smile:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet about what Emee said. On the anniversary of his death we were riding home from church and Cole looked so sad. He said he was missing Papa--we had not even mentioned what that day was. Kids have a special sense about them I truly believe!