Sunday, February 24, 2008

Basketball...or Football

Oh my goodness! Addi had a basketball game this afternoon (3rd one this weekend) and WOW! I am not a proponent of slugging someone, but I thought that is what it was going to come to!! I looked up once and this girl was slapping my precious girl!! I am not exaggerating! It was crazy...well, the whole game was crazy! A spectator on each side was ejected from the game -- new thing for me in my 4th grader's game. They just didn't call it as tight as they should have for one side playing "street ball." They did call tie balls (the main culprit), but let it go a second or two before they called it! But back to the slapfest, I will say that although I do not want my DAUGHTER fighting, I don't want her to get beat up on the court either. She wasn't slapping her girl (in the face!) but she didn't back down and quiver in fear! Another girl's mom in front of me kept yelling encouraging words to Addi that she did "great" & "keep up being tough" -- that was maybe a bit much for me (I was actually quiet on that one - I probably was still just stunned), but I was proud of her for hanging tough -- AND not getting thrown out of the game! It probably is a good thing that she is not playing as much in this new league as she did in the old one or she would have fouled out today. She FINALLY got more agressive...by that I just mean going after the ball. When she puts everything together, she will be really good! Today, we lost by 1 point at the buzzer, but had been down most of the game. We played a LOT better in the 2nd half than the 1st.

I'm wondering if we should go to Academy and suit the girls up in pads...they play this team again on Tuesday night in a make-up game!! I'll have to let you know how it goes...

1 things that make me smile:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that girl slapped her. Did they kick her out? I will be waiting to hear what happens on Tuesday. Some peoples children, she must of learned that at home. Kim