Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Acoustic Neuroma Stuff

Two good things happened today that both have to do with my getting back into the whole Acoustic Neuroma world. First, I was able to spend some time on the phone with a lady who was recently diagnosed with an AN. She posted on the ANA Forum (link) yesterday that she felt very overwhelmed and confused after her Dr. visit. Even though I could not answer her questions directly, as they related to her very small tumor and surgeon questions, I felt I could be there for her as she said she felt very "alone and just wish she had someone to talk to" -- it broke my heart! I was able to send her a PM & let her know that I even though I couldn't answer all her questions, I could certainly listen and be a shoulder for her and gave her my number. She called this afternoon and we had a great conversation -- she is a lovely lady from South Carolina. This is what I want to do for others with AN!! When I checked the mail tonight, I had received my packet from the Acoustic Neuroma Association (link). It was filled with all of their literature and books that they send out to people that contact them that have just been diagnosed -- they are very informative -- MUCH more information than we were given!! Since all this comes about 12 years late, I will keep them on hand for resources (hopefully I won't need it except to field calls!). :o) Which brings up the other exciting thing - it included the information for the WTT (Willing To Talk) list. I'll fill that form out & get it back in and hopefully get approved so that my contact information will be added to their list that goes out with the packet. Who would have thought that I could help others so much with all of this!?!? Now, if I could just figure out a way to make a little cash at something like this that I enjoy so much!! The ironic thing is that I have to join the association so I have to pay THEM so that I can help them help others !!! It is definitely worth it...I can't tell you how it makes me feel (& I think it is a good example to my kids -- I'm going to make sure that I do this when they are gone or occupied so that they don't suffer from lack of time or attention)! On another note...will I jinx myself if I say I might get out of house arrest tomorrow???

1 things that make me smile:

Anonymous said...

Kay, I am proud of you for taking on this new project. You have been an inspiration to all of us. Kendie, I love the picture that Mom posted on the blog. You girlies make being a grandmother so much fun.I love your phone calls when we are not together and I love your hugs and kisses when we are together. Maybe we can see you soon. love Grandma.