Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Too many activities?

One of my friends, whose children are much younger than mine, asked me what I thought about kids & activities. Apparently, some of her friends were saying that they wanted to put their kids in activities EVERY day (& pre-school everyday) - their theory that if they were so busy, they would stay out of trouble. I told her that my kids had always been involved in many activities but not because I wanted to "keep them busy everyday!" We do seem to have something almost everyday now, if not multiple things, but only because the girls are at ages where ALL THREE are involved in activities. I have always let them try a variety so they will know what is out there AND I have commented that "I guess they will stay out of trouble because they are so busy," but it is not because I think they need to do more than is humanly possible. Would we like for each of them to have something to fall back on as they get older? Yes, I think it IS good to be involved in SOMETHING. However, I certainly would not force them into things that they are not interested in, just to be active. Unfortunately, there are not enough hours in the day (or money in our bank account!) to satisfy everything they would like to try. Part of that is because they know that Dave & I have always encouraged them to try new things so in their little minds they can try anything - I think that is a good thing! Do we have many activities? YES! Are we super busy? YES! But do we LOVE to be at home and do they love to come up with things to keep themselves occupied or play with neighbors & friends? YES! Does all that make any sense?? Hope a little...

3 things that make me smile:

Hrissy said...

right, K! making their children like some activity, does not mean necessary that children will like it and be happy!
x

Anonymous said...

Hi Kay:

Thanks for your wishes!

I am very glad you are doing so well & that you are reaching out to others.

Keep an eye on kathy's progress, I'm sure she will be very happy to know some one else who has 'been there' is pulling for her.

Regards,

dale

RaisingRowdyBoys, Missy said...

We have the opposite dilema at our home! They have tried them out, and don't want to do another season. I have tried forcing, but it makes them miserable, so what to do? Maybe they'll be interested when they get older?!