Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sad Day

I went to the funeral this morning of my dear friend, Ernestine. While I KNOW where she is and how much she is enjoying being free of her earthly body that had failed her in so many ways, I still am very sad. The thing that bothers me the most is that 3 different people have told me how much I meant to her and how every time that they went to visit her, she asked about me and told them how much I meant to her (even her sisters from out of town mentioned me to a lady from our church last night). I am privileged and honored that she held me in such high regard - I couldn't ask for a better compliment - but I feel that I failed her by not taking more time to be with her or visit her these last few months. Dave reminded me that we have had a busy (& physically demanding) few months, but what about before that? and all the other stuff I have made time to do? I know, I know, I have a family to take care and that she totally understood, but I still feel like I should have done more for her...:o( I have learned my lesson - I will try to do better about "seeing" to people and taking time for others. I seem to have a special place in my heart for the "more mature" crowd at church and maybe it is not just enough to go up & check on them at services and give them a hug - I might be the one they are looking to for a little more. Who knows? I just know I want to try to make more effort because I don't want to feel this way again! I will miss Ernestine's sweet spirit - she was beautiful inside and out. She always had a twinkle in her eye and I know it radiated her goodness from within. I only hope that I can be a fraction of the LADY she was - truly a woman of Proverbs 31.

2 things that make me smile:

Anonymous said...

hun, please accept my deepest condolences... I am sorry to hear of this loss of someone very dear to you... and as you note... that they held you so very dear to themselves. God bless.

Phyl

Debbi said...

And you know, Kay, that Ernestine knows how much you loved her. She's probably smiling down on you right now...

Debbi